Monday 6 June 2016

A truly happy meal :)

My happy meal of burgers,
sweet potato fries, broccoli
& a chocolate milkshake
This is a very simple and easy meal idea for those cutting down on meat or those in the transition to veganism.  It's a health(ier) and cruelty-free version of American diner style fast food. Although fast food might be a source of comfort, convenience and excitement for many, the impact widespread consumption of these foods has on our health, animals and the environment is horrendous. I'm really not one for spoiling people's fun and I think we should always enjoy food. I'm no puritan and so I thought I'd make a healthier and cruelty-free but still enjoyable version.

Although I definitely believe eating more foods as close to their natural state can work wonders for your health, it's quite clear I don't believe in perfectionism when it comes to eating.  (See my old blog; http://samanthathesanevegan.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/a-good-look-at-girl-in-mirror-little.html for a sneaky peak into my unhealthy habits!) Personally, for protein I tend to opt for mainly lentils, beans, nuts, tofu, protein bars and protein smoothies as I'm quite health-conscious and not really used to meaty flavours any more but occasionally I'll have something a bit like the things I used to have when I was younger, just for a change or if I'm feeling a bit sentimental.  Sometimes I really feel like cooking but with our busy lifestyles often we just want something really easy that can just be quickly thrown in the oven and there's nothing wrong with that.

vegan quorn burger
You can never really win as a vegan. If you eat meat substitutes people (including some vegans!) say 'if you're so against meat, why are you eating something that's imitating it? but then if you don't people are like 'yuck, how can you eat tofu and lentils?'  There's no way of pleasing everyone so it's best to just do whatever works for you.

Sweet potato is one of those foods that's so delicious I can't believe it's healthy! It's great source of slow-releasing carbohydrates, antioxidants, beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A (only slightly behind carrots in this eye-supportive nutrient!), magnesium, vitamin B6 and fibre.

sweet potato fries are a gift from above!
I could write a whole blog post on the importance of green foods in the diet but they are full of essential vitamins (particularly folic acid), minerals such as iron and calcium and antioxidants.  They are also high in fibre, have an alkalising effect on the body and help to eliminate toxins.

Ingredients

Vegan burgers (I've used vegan quorn burgers available from larger branches of ASDA and Sainsbury's in the UK). There have been some scare stories but quorn has been approved as a safe food by the FDA and FSA.
Sweet potatoes
Oil (I've used sunflower frying oil which is high in monounsaturates. Avoid using conventional sunflower oil as it's incredibly high in omega 6 fats which contribute to inflammation in excess. If you can't find this, look for oils high in monounsaturates or use coconut oil)
Lettuce or any other green vegetable (try to always have something green with each meal!) I've used broccoli.
  • Heat the oven to gas mark 6 (204c, 400F)
  • Chop the sweet potato into chips carefully using a large, sharp knife
  • Pour a small amount of oil onto a baking tray
  • Spread the chips around the tray and place on the top shelf
  • Put the burgers on a different tray and put in the middle shelf
  • Serve with salad or steamed greens. A touch of balsamic vinegar is nice to enhance the flavour!

My vegan milkshake brings all the boys to the yard! (probably wouldn't be a hit would it?)

Ingredients (per person)
  • 100ml dairy-free ice-cream. There are lots of different kinds available now in supermarkets and health food stores (I've used the coconut collaborative chocolate frozen yoghurt. It's sweetened with grape juice but still quite high in sugar, fine for a treat though!)
  • 300ml Almond milk
Method: Erm, mix together in a glass

Amazing!

So this meal was easy to make in half an hour, provided taste-satisfaction, around 20g protein, 2 of my 5 a day, good amounts of antioxidants, fibre, vitamins and minerals and didn't cause any animals to suffer (can't say the same for a McDonalds happy meal, can you?). That brings joy to my day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment