Thursday 26 June 2014

Make Cookies not war! A slightly healthier way to enjoy baked goods......


Anyone who knows me at all knows how much I adore baked goods and always have done.  In the nutrition profession they are totally demonised by some for their high sugar, refined carbohydrate and unhealthy fat content.  Rather than exclude something I really enjoy from my diet I decided to experiment with ways I could make them healthier whilst still tasting nice.  Here's a simple cookie recipe I came up with that is free from dairy, eggs, refined sugar, refined grains (bar a little bit of white flour to roll out the cookie dough onto!) and hydrogenated fats.  


They can easily be made gluten free by substituting gluten free oats and flour.  I've tried using ground millet & buckwheat flakes before and they give a harder, crunchier texture.

So here's the recipe!


Low GI Chocolate Chip Cookies

6oz ground oats (can use a food processor to grind them, I’ve used my bog-standard smoothie maker)
1oz Self Raising flour
4oz sugar (I’ve used coconut sugar which is a low GI sugar that tastes similar to brown sugar)
100g coconut oil
100g chocolate buttons
splash of milk of your choice (I used Sojade vanilla soya milk)

Mix together the oats,  sugar and blend in the fat using a wooden spoon so that it is evenly distributed.
I've used a mixture of vegan dark
and white chocolate chips here

Add the chocolate buttons

Add a small amount of milk to bind the mixture together & mix well.
Add the flour to make the mixture less sticky.  The mixture should be dry enough that you can shape it with your hands.  Take a small cookie sized amount of mixture and roll into a ball & flatten with your hands.  Alternatively sprinkle some flour out onto a clean surface, roll out with a rolling pin & cut with biscuit cutters.


mmmmm cookie dough!
Lay out on a baking tray.
Repeat process until all mixture is used up.
Bake in oven at gas mark 5 (191 degrees celcius) for 25 mins (or until they appear done!)








Make cookies not war!

I've made some heart shaped ones here to spread the message of luurve





3 comments:

  1. As someone who has had the good fortune to have tasted Samantha's cookies, I can say that they are probably the nicest biscuits I have ever tasted. To know that they are a slow burning healthy alternative is just amazing. Having healthy snacks like one or two a day is a way to make sure you don't feel deprived while eating healthy. Amazing stuff, you really have to try them to understand. I would easily pay £10 for a tin of those bad boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah thanks, making me blush......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made them using coconut flour instead of white gluten free flour to make them 100% free of refined grains. Still just as tasty!

    ReplyDelete